Whole Wheat Penne with Spinach and Gorgonzola
Especially rich in: lutein, zeaxanthin, folate, and zinc, with modest amounts of vitamin C. Most of the omega-3s are from plant sources, which are not quite as good as the EPA and DHA in fish.
Also rich in: iron, fiber, B vitamins, calcium, potassium, and copper
10 oz. uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
Olive oil cooking spray
1 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced (~ 1 medium onion)
3 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 Roma tomatoes, chopped (~2 cups)
1 (6-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste
2/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
1/3 cup pine nuts (optional)
Cook pasta according to package directions, without salting water.
While pasta is cooking, spray a large, non-stick frying pan with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Add onions, then stir and cook until slightly transparent, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic, stir and cook for another minute. Add broth and let simmer for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, toss, and simmer for 2 minutes. Add spinach and basil, cook and stir for approximately 2 minutes, or until leaves wilt. Remove from heat and salt/pepper to taste.
Drain pasta and add to spinach mixture. Thoroughly toss. Serve on a platter and top with gorgonzola and pine nuts.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): 300 Calories; 25% fat (8.3 g total, 2.8 g saturated), 57% carbohydrate (43 g), 18% protein (13.5 g), 8 mg cholesterol, 8.6 g fiber, 27 mg vitamin C, 1.33 mg vitamin E, 271 mg sodium.
Turkey & Mango Orange Pepper Boats
Makes 2 Lunch-Sized Servings
1 boneless, skinless turkey breast or 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces (170g or 6 oz)
1 tbsp canola oil or olive oil
1 cup shelled edamame or frozen peas, thawed.
2 green onions, chopped
1 mango, peeled and sliced
¼ cup chopped cashews
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
4 orange peppers, seeds removed, cut in quarters
Salt & pepper
3 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp lime juice
Dash hot sauce
Dash sesame oil
Pepper to taste
1) Heat oil in a saute pan. Cook turkey or chicken breast on med-high heat until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
2) Bring frozen, shelled edamame to a boil. Remove from heat as soon as edamame floats to the top of the water. Drain and Cool.
3) Mix edamame, green onion, mango, cashews and parsley in a bowl. Add cooked turkey and mix ingredients together. (This mixture can be made one hour to the day before and stored in the refrigerator.)
4) Mix all ingredients of dressing together in a small bowl or jar. Add to the turkey mixture.
5) Spoon into pepper halves and top with chopped cashews.
Enjoy cold or at room temperature.